Thursday, April 21, 2011

GET NERDY

Yesterday, President Obama did a Q&A from Facebook headquarters, streaming live on the White House Facebook fan page. The President was asked many questions, but the one topic that hit home with me was America's need for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) skilled workers. Why? Because I am one of these people! My friends are these people!

With most of my social network having already graduated, or graduating within the next year, we know first hand the shortage of our special skills in the market. I can't tell you how many times I've been out at some bar and I meet someone and tell them I'm a computer scientist and they just give me a blank stare. This is good for me with my upcoming job search imminent. It means I'll be in high demand. However, with the shortage, it means there are not enough talented people to do the work necessary to get our country back on top. Basically, Uncle Sam's message is this:


Look at the huge, money making companies in America right now. What are they? Technology companies. Facebook, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon. They all started from a couple nerds in a garage, or dorm room, hacking away to come up with a beginning product. I know some of you are saying, it's a bubble, it's bound to pop. Will it? Facebook was founded 7 years ago. Google, over a decade ago. Microsoft? Almost 40 YEARS ago. That's a long time for a bubble to be still around...

Not only that, but these companies are worth BILLIONS. Facebook has a valuation of a around $70 billion. Mark Zuckerburg, Facebook's founder, owns some where around 25% of the company. That means Zuckerburg has a personal worth of...wait for it...... $17.5 BILLION dollars. WOW.

As TechCrunch so eloquently put it:
"In a time of rampant unemployment and $14 trillion in National Debt, if that’s not a big argument for teaching kids how to code, I don’t know what is."
So, I challenge you America, GET NERDY.

0 comments:

Post a Comment